The smoothie diet (also known as 21-Day Smoothie Diet) consists of swapping two of your meals daily with smoothies and enjoying whole foods for your other meal, plus two snacks.
Unlike other weight loss plans, the Smoothie Diet is easy to stick to as it takes less than 50 seconds to create a smoothie, and many of them taste like dessert, like the chocolate cherry smoothie.
According to the creator, Drew Sgoutas, a certified health coach and nutrition expert, eating healthy doesn’t have to be complicated. The secret to weight loss is just consuming whole food while avoiding processed stuff.
The 21-day Smoothie diet came into existence just because Drew was trying to make the meal prep as simple as possible for his clients.
21-Day Smoothie Diet focuses on three things:
- Reducing the number of calories you consume daily
- Boosting critical nutrients, you need to stay healthy & lose weight
- Making dieting enjoyable so that you stick with it
The smoothie diet has helped over 20,000 people worldwide lose weight. In this article, you will learn more about the Smoothie diet, what you can eat on the Smoothie diet, benefits & drawbacks of the diet, and a 7-Day Smoothie Diet Plan:
Foods to Eat & Avoid in Smoothie Diet
To put it simply, nutrient-dense foods like fruits and vegetables are allowed in the smoothie diet, while processed foods should be avoided at all costs.
Foods to Eat
- Vegetables: Watercress, chinese cabbage, chard, beet greens, parsley, spinach, chicory greens, collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, chive, kale, broccoli, arugula, scallion, cabbage, carrot, turnip, leek, sweet potato, etc
- Fruits: Apples, blueberries, bananas, oranges, dragon fruit, mango, avocado, lychee, pineapple, strawberries, durian, cherries, olives, kiwi, watermelon, guava, peaches, grapes, pomegranates, grapefruit, etc
- Nuts and seeds: almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, cashews, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, macadamia nuts, etc
- Poultry: chicken, duck, turkey
- Eggs: chicken, quail, and duck eggs
- Dairy: cheese, yogurt, milk
- Herbs and spices: garlic, basil, mint, rosemary, sage, nutmeg, cinnamon, pepper
- Healthy fats: Extra virgin olive oil, olives, and avocado oil
- Unsweetened cocoa powder, unsweetened coconut flakes, vanilla extract, granola, honey, etc
Foods to Avoid
- Sugar-sweetened beverages & added sugar: No more soda, candies, ice cream, table sugar, syrup, and baked goods
- Refined grains: White rice, tortillas, white bread, pasta, chips, crackers, etc
- Fried foods: French fries, mozzarella sticks, donuts, fried chicken, fish sticks
- Processed foods: Cookies, chips, pretzels, baked goods, etc
- Processed meat: Bacon, ham, pepperoni, cold cuts, salami, etc
- Refined oils: Soybean oil, canola oil, cottonseed oil, grapeseed oil, etc
- Processed meat: Processed sausages, hot dogs, deli meats, beef jerky, etc
- Highly-processed foods: Fast food, microwave popcorn, granola bars, etc
Benefits of the Smoothie Diet
- Increases Your Nutrient Intake: Almost all the smoothies are prepared using healthy ingredients rich in nutrients. You are literally combining and consuming several nutrient-dense vegetables and fruits in one drink.
- Leads To Weight Loss: Smoothies are rich in fiber, nutrients, lower your daily sugar consumption, and help you maintain calorie deficit effortlessly.
- No More Calorie Counting: In almost all diet plans, you need to count calories, carbs, protein intake, etc. In the smoothie diet, you are consuming healthy ingredients only, and the smoothies are designed to supply you with the right amount of calories needed for weight loss.
- Rich in Fiber: Most smoothies are made from vegetables and fruits, and they are relatively high in fiber
- Detoxifies Body: Most of the processed foods you normally consume are full of chemicals that are harmful for your body. By following the smoothie diet, you are taking a break from processed foods and allowing your body to detoxify itself.
- Boost Energy Levels: By drinking smoothies, you are consuming several nutrient-dense fruits and vegetables in an easily digestible form, perfect for keeping your energy level high.
- Improve Gut Health: Fiber is essential for maintaining a healthy gut. Most smoothies are rich in fiber.
- Help you Sleep Better: Magnesium promotes relaxation and restful sleep. The smoothie diet includes ingredients like bananas, spinach, avocado, etc (rich sources of magnesium).
- Easy to Follow: It takes less than 50 seconds to create a smoothie, and most of them taste fabulous. Even if you decide to follow the diet for only a month, chances are you will keep consuming smoothies, not because of the nutrient content but because of the taste.
Drawbacks of the Smoothie Diet
- Too much Sugar: Most smoothies contain multiple servings of fruits and high-sugar ingredients, such as honey or granola. This improves their taste, however, the amount of sugar increases tremendously and is not suitable for everyone.
- Risk of Nutrient Deficiencies: Replacing two meals with smoothies and consuming one solid meal may increase the risk of nutritional deficiencies. Even though most smoothies contain nutrient-dense ingredients, they still omit many foods generally included in a balanced meal, such as whole grains, healthy fats, and lean proteins.
- Restrictive: You are replacing two meals with smoothies and can only consume healthy food. That’s kinda too much restrictive. You may not feel this way since most of the smoothies taste good. But this is the case.
- Unsustainable: Following the smoothie diet for a few weeks will result in rapid weight loss, but in the long run, it’s too restrictive.
7-Day Smoothie Diet Plan
You have to take ingredients from the table mentioned below and make smoothies.
To make smoothies, all you need to do is put all the ingredients in a blender & blend them for 50 seconds, or until you get the smooth and creamy drink.
Depending on what you prefer, you can add or delete items too. For example, you are training daily along with following the smoothie diet. To keep your protein intake on point, you can just add whey protein to the smoothies. However, make sure you don’t overdo it.
To successfully lose weight in 7 days, stick to the ingredients on the list as much as you can.
Here’s a 7-Day Smoothie Diet Plan:
|1 Tbsp Almond Butter||1 Apple||1 Cucumber|
|1 Cup Of Kale||1 Orange||2 Kale Leaves|
|Half Cup Of Normal Water||½ Cup Pineapple Slices||2 Medium-Sized Celery|
|¼ Cup Of Frozen Berries||3 Kale Leaves||1 Peeled Lemon|
|¼ Cup Pineapple Slices||Handful Of Mint||1 Apple|
|¼ Cup Non-Fat Yogurt||1 Tbsp Cinnamon|
|½ Cup Of Almond Milk||Half Cup Of Coconut Water||1 Cucumber|
|2 Celery Stalks||½ Cup Berries||Handful Of Parsley|
|1 Cucumber||¼ Avocado||Half Cup Water|
|3 Leaves Of Kale||4 Tbsp Of Lemon Juice||2 Tbsp Aloe Vera Juice|
|Half Apple||1 Tbsp Flax Seeds||5 Tbsp Of Lemon Juice|
|Half Cup Of Sliced Pineapple|
|3 Green Tea Bags||3 Carrots||1 Cucumber|
|1 Cup Of Blueberries||2 Tomatoes||Handful Of Spinach|
|Half Cup Fat-Free Yogurt||2 Cucumbers||1 Banana|
|3 Tbsp Of Flax Seeds||1 Piece Of Ginger||1 Avocado|
|Half ¼ cup of water||1 Tbsp Of Cinnamon|
|A Handful Of Almonds|
|Half Piece Medium-Sized Mango||1 Cup Blue Berries||1 Apple|
|1 Cup Of Oats||5 Stalks Of Spinach||1 Cup Pineapples|
|Half Cup Non-Fat Yogurt||2 Apples||Handful Of Mint|
|Half Cup Of Water||1 Piece Of Ginger||2 Stalks Celery|
|½ Cup Unsweetened Yogurt||Half Cup Of Water|
|2 Oranges||1 Sweet Potato||1 Banana|
|1 Cup Of Pineapples||1 Cucumber||5 Leaves Spinach|
|3 Tbsp Of Lemon Juice||1 Apple||1 Cup Almond Milk|
|Handful Of Mint||Half Cup Of Natural Yogurt||Half Medium-Sized Avocado|
|Half Cup Of Water||¼ cup of water|
|1 Tbsp Cinnamon|
|2 Tbsp Of Lemon Juice||1 Cucumber||1 Cup Blueberries|
|2 Celery Stalk||2 Celery Stalk||¼ Cup Mango|
|2 Cups Of Coconut Water||Half Green Apple||1 Avocado|
|¼ Cup Of Pineapple||¼ Cup Almond Milk||2 Tbsp Of Lemon Juice|
|1 Piece Of Small-Sized Ginger Root||1 Cup Pineapple||Half Cup Of Coconut Water|
|¼ Cup Of Water|
|2 Tbsp Of Lemon||2 Carrots||Half Cup Of Almond Milk|
|1 Cup Of Blue Berries||1 Cucumber||3 Celery Stalks|
|4 Leaves Spinach||1 Orange||Half Cup Pineapple|
|1 Tbsp Of Flax Seeds||2 Apples||1 Apple|
|1 Tbsp Of Cinnamon||5 Kale Leaves||1 Cucumber|
|1 Cup Coconut Water||Half Water Cup||5 Kale Leaves|
|1 Tbsp Of Cinnamon|
On the Smoothie Diet, you can eat one solid meal per day and two snacks too.
Moreover, solid meals should consist mostly of whole foods, and snacks should be low in sugar and high in fiber, no more than 200 calories per serving.
According to Drew, the Smoothie diet works by creating a calorie deficit. The 21-Day Smoothie Diet Plan provides a total of around 1,500 calories per day.
You will be expending more calories than you consume each day. You can try the 21-Day Smoothie Diet Challenge created by Drew Sgoutas CHC, AADP, by clicking here.
Moreover, the diet encourages a variety of nutrient-dense foods, like fruits, vegetables, and nuts, all of which are high in fiber. As a result, most of the smoothies are incredibly filling.
This program also includes 36 fat-melting meal replacement smoothie recipes, shopping lists for each week, 3-day smoothie detox (one of Drew’s clients even lost 3 lbs/3 days on the detox program), and a quick start guide.
The Smoothie Diet, to some extent, is really healthy if you think about it. You are consuming vegetables and fruits daily. You are also avoiding processed food and junk food. Moreover, the Smoothie diet is simple to follow.
It takes less than 50 seconds to create a smoothie, and most of them are filling and taste incredible. The smoothies taste so good that even after reaching your weight loss goal, you will keep on drinking them just for the taste.
However, before you start the smoothie diet, consult with your healthcare provider or a registered dietitian, especially if you have an underlying health condition., to ensure you are physically fit to try a new diet.
P.S Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this article on The Smoothie Diet, feel free to share it. Moreover, leave a question down below in the comment section if you have any.
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you. Please read my affiliate disclaimer for more info.
Latest posts by Rudra (see all)
- Super Busy? Try Passive Workout Routine For Weight Loss - March 11, 2023
- 5 Principles to Lose Weight and Keep it Off - March 5, 2023
- A Guide On Wearing Rings For Men | 4 Rules of Wearing Rings - February 10, 2023