Chewing gum is a cohesive substance designed to be chewed without being swallowed. It was first utilized by Ancient Greeks. They chewed mastic gum (Mastic gum is made from the resin of the mastic tree) to maintain oral health.
The first commercial chewing gum known as the State of Maine Pure Spruce Gum was developed and sold in 1848 by John Bacon Curtis.
To this day, people consume chewing gum. Since it offers benefits like preventing tooth decay, treating bad breath, increasing saliva flow, fighting acid reflux or heartburn, and stress relief.
There is one more benefit chewing gum supposedly possess, and that is weight loss.
It is believed that chewing gum can assist in weight loss by increasing the feeling of fullness and decreasing appetite. In this article, we are going to determine whether chewing gum can truly help in weight loss or not:
Can chewing gum help me in losing weight?
If you are wondering whether chewing gum can help you in burning hundreds of pounds, then it can’t. You can barely burn 11 calories per hour by chewing gum.
What chewing gum can do is, It can assist in weight loss.
Several studies show that chewing gum for only 15 minutes/day can make you feel fuller and help you in consuming fewer calories throughout the day.
In one study, Chewing gum reduced hunger and cravings after a 10-hour fast as effectively as drinking a calorie-rich beverage.
Another study suggests that chewing gum after a meal may help you eat a 10% smaller portion of a snack, 3 hours later.
However, further research is required for a strong conclusion.
The only thing you can say with certainty is that chewing gum for 10-15 minutes/day is not a bad bet. Chances are, you may eat less and feel fuller.
Chewing gum will not help you in losing hundreds of pounds, but it can give you a little boost.
What I would recommend: Start a diet along with adopting small lifestyle changes just like this, to boost your performance. For instance, You can start the Ketogenic diet.
This way, not only, You are doing something concrete to lose weight, but you are also taking actions to boost your performance.
Chewing Gum Rules
- Chewing Gum Type: It’s for the best if you choose a gum that is sugar-free and contains xylitol (Xylichew, Project 7 Clean Gum, Pur Chewing Gum). Since xylitol inhibits the growth of the bacteria that cause cavities and plaque, However, If you have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), you should avoid chewing gum altogether.
- Duration: There is no ideal time frame for chewing a gum. Still, you should avoid chewing more than a gum/day and for more than 15 minutes.
The good thing is, It won’t take much effort on your part to cash in on the benefits.
However, you should avoid overdoing it since frequent chewing of gum can result in headaches, digestive problems, and so on.
P.S Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this article on Chewing Gum, feel free to share it. Moreover, leave a question down below in the comment section if you have any
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you. Please read my affiliate disclaimer for more info.
Latest posts by Rudra (see all)
- 20 Relationship Quotes to Make Sense of Your Feelings - January 12, 2022
- What Will Happen to Your Body If You Jog For 15-Minute Every Day - January 5, 2022
- 5 Things You Can Do in 2022 To Make Your Life Better - December 28, 2021